Friday, October 7, 2011

PRAYER - Seventh Step Prayer

The following is the Seventh Step Prayer, which is also from the literature of the 12-step programs.

"My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad.
I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows.
Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen."

In the first sentence, we are willing for our Creator to take all of us, not just our "bad" traits. Actually, what we think is a good trait, used in excess can become a negative trait. Excellent organizational skills are an attribute when held in balance, but the skill becomes destructive when it is used to organize and regulate the lives of others. If we are to grow spiritually, we can't pick and choose what part we give to our Higher Power. We have to turn over the whole package.

The second sentence allows God to select which of our characters traits need to be removed. However, we usually have an inkling of what our character defects might be by the emotional and/or physical pain they cause us.

Furthermore, the reason for the removal of our character defects is not so we can tip toe through the tulips and live happily ever after. The purpose is to fit ourselves for maximum service to God and man.

And, so it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment