Thursday, October 27, 2011

PETYA

After a late night in the ICU, I was exhausted and famished. I made my way to a nearby restaurant. My mind was jumbled, but I finally found something on the menu that appealed to me. Petya took my order. As she spoke, I noticed her lovely accent.

After nourishment, I felt somewhat restored. I asked Petya of her accent's origin. She shared, thirteen years ago, she immigrated to the United States from Bulgaria. During each airline connection from Prague to London and on to Minneapolis, Petya noticed a man her age, who was on her flights. Finally, she asked him, Ivo, where he was going. He was also from Bulgaria, and his destination was the same as Petya's, a university in Edmond, Oklahoma.

"It must have been meant to be," said Petya.

Petya and Ivo eventually married. Each of them worked one-to-two jobs and, without student loans, went to college. They completed two-year degrees, followed by receiving Bachelors Degrees in Finance. They both continued to work and Ivo advanced to graduate school.

Ivo had just completed his Masters Degree in Business Administration and was looking for work. Petya proudly related rather than a CPA, Certified Public Accountant, Ivo wanted to become a CFA, Certified Financial Analyst. To obtain the latter certification, Ivo must work three years in the field and yearly pass a rigorous examination.

Petya plans to enroll in graduate school and possibly obtain a Masters Degree in Dietetics. After which, she wants to start her own business and work with obese children and diabetics.

From Petya's count, there are 10-to-12 Bulgarian immigrants living in the Oklahoma City area, and they are a close-knit "family." With Petya's evening job, she babysits, during the day, for two of her Bulgarian, women friends, so they can also work.

With the absurd furor about immigration, Petya and Ivo are people that I am absolutely delighted made their way to my home state. I'd like more people like them to follow their path. The have much to teach us about perseverance and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment