Saturday, October 15, 2011

LOVE AND COMPASSION

Eleven years ago, a patient and I had a parting of the ways. We "agreed to disagree," regarding issues of my time and payment. Since that time, we have concurrently attended a number of non-professional meetings. Through gossip, she has assassinated my character. When she and I are in close proximity, her anger toward me is palpable. When I speak in the group, she often leaves the room.

She is very popular, charming and has a great sense of humor. Over the years, her behaviors and attitudes toward me have been very hurtful. When she is near, I pray for her.

Today, we were again in a meeting together. She shared her struggles and pain. Later, as others shared similar experiences, she began to cry. It was the first time I had seen her cry. I felt an enormous amount of love and compassion for her.

She was sitting a few chairs away. I was drawn to hand her a tissue and tell her I loved her. When I approached, she recoiled and said, "I don't want to talk to you. I don't consider you my friend. Don't talk to me."

Emotionally, I felt slapped. I returned to my seat, and my tears flowed. Throughout the day, I have reflected on this incident.

My hurt is dissipating. I feel incredible sadness for this woman. She is a tortured soul. I hope she finds her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment