Sunday, October 16, 2011

INNER VISION

Before I begin a new canvas, I feel the need to experience a particular color or combination of colors. I frequently receive visions of one or two strokes of the color on canvas.

In the midst of the process, with painting flying everywhere, I may hear an inner voice. In an early piece, of course everything is early now, I was using a combination of orange and yellow and was told, "Make it dance." I began to feel the rhythm of the colors, and they danced.

On another canvas, I was again working with yellow and orange. It was 2:00-to-3:00 a.m. I kept making a circle that resembled a fiery orb. I repeatedly questioned, "What is this?"

A few minutes later, I began to laugh. Internally, I heard Johnny Cash singing, "Burn, burn, burn and the flames grow higher ... that ring of fire." I was painting the ring.

Other times, I am in the throes of various color combinations and am not sure where I am going. Then, the title comes to me. I am never left wandering alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment