Monday, December 19, 2011

STOP

My Divine Guides are attempting to teach me when to stop. I am given very clear inner directions in my painting. Yesterday, I knew I was to use bright-red paint on a 16x20 canvas. Initially, I thought I knew where I was going. All of a sudden the painting made a turn. My original idea was abandoned, and I began loading the canvas with another 16 ounces of paint.

(A friend of mine said that I do "paint sculptures.")

As I moved the luscious color with a brush, gorgeous patterns began to emerge. Suddenly, an exquisite design presented itself, and my inner voice directed me to "Stop." I hesitated, but thought I could improve it by one more stroke. Wrong. The vision now only exists in my mind.

With one stroke, it was gone. I worked the paint for another hour. Finally, exhausted, I came to what I considered a quasi acceptable form. My spirit guide said, "Don't analyze. Leave it."

The painting will dry in about a week. Then, I'll have a better idea of its form.

Today, I had a similar situation. I have worked on one piece for two months. I have applied layer after layer, with intervening drying time. The painting was coming into focus. I thought I was almost there. I was again instructed to stop, but I continued. At one point, I became so frustrated I started to smear paint all over the canvas and obliterate the design, which had come to me in a vision. I was into it a bit. Then, I heard, "Now that you have had your tantrum, clean it off and do it again."

With many warm, wet clothes, I removed the paint and resurrected the dry undercoat and began again. Believe me, the next time I was told to stop, I listened.

Obviously, it is very difficult for me to stop in the middle of a project. Especially, when I think, "If I work just a little bit longer, it will be the way I want it." You see where that philosophy took me the last two days.

Sometimes, I think I know where I am going, so I want everyone to move out of my way and let me "get'er done," as Larry the Cable Guy would say.

The truth is I don't know where God is taking me. So, when instructed, I must stop, rest and wait for guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment