Tuesday, December 20, 2011

SILENCE AND THE SOUL

This morning I was feeling considerable angst over a business situation. I wanted to do something about it. I wanted to fix it, as if I could. I was caught up in my ego and the illusions of the world.

Finally, I knew, if I was to have any peace today, I must sit quietly, pray and listen. I was directed to the book shelf where my copy of Yogananda's In the Sanctuary of the Soul resides. Upon locating the book, I settled into my comfort chair.

I opened the book to its concluding pages, 115-124. Yogananda speaks of the "inner temple of silence" and said, "When tigers of worries, sickness and death are chasing you, your only sanctuary is the inner temple of silence." Within that temple, "receive God with your awakened intuition ... God is in the heart of soul of every being. And when you open within yourself the secret temple in your heart, then with the all-knowing intuition of the soul you shall read the book of life. Then, and only then, will you contact the living God. And you will feel Him as the very essence of your being."

On closing the book, I went into my temple. As I sat in blissful silence, I knew to the depth of my being worldly objects and thoughts were of no value. I can live without them, but I do not want to live without God's peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment