Sunday, April 19, 2009

GADGETS

I once had a dentist with a big, new, fancy office with lots of gadgets. He hopped back and forth between patients, treating two, three or more simultaneously. I felt like an open mouth on a conveyor belt.

The dentist had an overhead television in each treatment room for patients to watch while he hopped. If I asked a question, he usually selected a program for me to watch about crowns, root canals or whatever.

I just wanted him to talk to me and feel we had connected on a personal level before he performed a procedure in my all too vulnerable mouth.

As I finished the visit, my bill certainly reflected the dentist's desire to quickly pay for his new building and machines.

I now see Dr. Duong, who practices in a simple, bare-bones office building. He has a gentle, kind manner and takes time with each of his patients. As we talk, I feel recognized as a human being and not just another mouth on an assembly line.

Dr. Duong is Vietnamese and came to the United States as a young boy. He was one of the boat people. His life has not been easy, but he has worked hard and lived frugally. He, his wife and two small children occupy a modest home next door to the clinic.

As I pay my bill, I feel grateful for the service Dr. Duong provides. I am also glad that I am not financing a bunch of new gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment